About the restoration of St. Paul's Church
St Paul’s Church of England building on Chelmer Road E9 was built in 1891 by the Grocers Company under the Lady Slaney Trust. This local historical and architectural heritage has a Grade 11 listing status, and holds fond memories for many who were Christened or married here. Unfortunately the church was left derelict for a period of 25 years and during this time it fell into a terrible state of disrepair.
In March 2006, the Clapton Community Seventh-day Adventist Church purchased the lease with the vision to restore this magnificent piece of historical artefact to its former glory and make improvements where possible. There is still much work to be carried out. The total restoration cost of St Paul’s Church is estimated at over £1.5million, partly attributed to the Grade 11 listing status.
To date, a considerable amount of work has already been undertaken, including:
- Complete re-roofing
- Restored stained glass windows
- Plumbing: heating
- Construct disability access
- Rebuild wall / fencing
- Improved kitchen facilities
- Built new toilet facilities / drainage
Planned work: (View of planned phase of work with west boundary)